St. Michael the Archangel

Ukrainian Catholic Church

Rev. Vasyl Sivinskyi, Pastor

2401 Eastern Ave Baltimore, 21224 USA
Office Phone: 410-675-7557   cell phone: 267-242-5673

Divine Liturgies
Saturdays at 4:00 pm 
Sundays at 10:30 am 
Holydays at 10:30 am 




All about St. Michael the Archangel

 Ukrainian Catholic Church

Brief History





Western Ukrainians began immigrating to Baltimore (Fells Point) in the 1880's. At first, services were held in homes. In the 1890's, the Divine Liturgy was celebrated by Ukrainian Catholic priests traveling from Pennsylvania. St. Stanislaus Roman Catholic Church (700 S. Ann St.) offered their facilities for use to their Byzantine Rite brethren. Also, Fr. Josaphat Bok, then pastor of St. Casimir's Church helped the Ukrainian Catholic Community to worship in the Byzantine Rite.


In 1910, Fr. Zachary Orun was assigned by Soter Ortynsky, Bishop of Ukrainian Catholics in America, to minister to the faithful in Baltimore. In 1912, St. Michael the Archangel Catholic Church purchased two lots on 520 and 522 South Wolf St. for the purpose of building a church. In August, 1913 the first Divine Liturgy was celebrated in the newly constructed church.


The parish continued growing. In 1981, the parish purchased the present site on Eastern Avenue from the city of Baltimore which contained an abandoned city school and warehouse. The school and warehouse were torn down in 1983. On Sunday, April 29, 1984, the plot for the new church was blessed. At the end of September, 1988 the parish center was completed. The last Divine Liturgy was held at the church on Wolfe St. on September 25. The church building was complete in May, 1991 and the first Divine Liturgy was celebrated on May 19, 1991 by Archbishop Sterniuk of Lviv, Ukraine. On November 22, 1992, Metropolitan Stephen Sulyk of the Ukrainian Catholic Church and Archbishop Keeler, the Latin Rite Archbishop of Baltimore consecrated the new St. Michael's. On June 25, 1995, the iconostas was blessed and the mortgage on the church was burned.


Since the blessing of the iconostas, the entire interior of the church has been decorated with icons, the domes of the church have been resufaced, and the exterior of the church has been repainted. The painting of the interior of the church has been completed and was blessed by Metropolitan Stephen Sulyk on November 2nd, 1997.





                    Ukrainian Parishes of Baltimore Bulletin  copywrite 2010 - 2012---website - St Michael the Archangel Parish Council webmaster